Yield: 12 biscuits
240g all-purpose flour
125ml double cream
1 free range egg
115g salted butter, grated and frozen (details below)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion granules
½ tsp black pepper
115g sharp cheddar, grated
8 tbsp chives, chopped
2 tbsp cream, plus extra for brushing the biscuits
Flaky salt, for sprinkling on top
If You Care Parchment Baking Paper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C or 180°C fan or Gas Mark 6.
- Grate 115g of cold butter onto a plate, using a box grater, on the large setting. Place butter in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, onion granules, black pepper, cheddar, and chives.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and use your hands or a pie cutter to fully integrate. You should have pea-sized clumps of butter and the flour should look yellow in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. You should have a slightly sticky, but workable dough.
- Once combined, turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten into a rectangle that is 5cm thick.
- Cut the dough into 12 squares. The corners may have slightly rounded edges- that’s okay
- Line a baking tray withIf You Care Parchment Baking Paper.
- Place biscuits onto the baking tray and into the freezer to cool for 15-30 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush the top of the biscuits with cream and sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake for ~20-24 minutes, until golden brown and risen.